The Housing Authority of Newnan (HAN) seeks an Accounting Specialist. This full time position provides all financial and accounting support for HAN and related entities and requires the ability to work efficiently without sacrificing accuracy. Works with large amounts of numerical data, handles multiple tasks with deadlines and provides transparent and complete reports to management. Computes, classifies and records all data to keep financial records complete and up to date. The incumbent may also check the accuracy of figures, calculations and postings recorded by other employees in the course of their business.
Some of the job responsibilities are highlighted below:
- Maintains separate general ledgers required for each program, project, or entity and ensures timely recording of all transactions in the accounting records via batch posting or journal entry.
- Monitors cash management by reconciling deposits and cleared payments posted to each bank account on at least a weekly basis. Performs formal bank reconciliations for all accounts on a monthly basis.
- Selects vendor payments to be made and processes payment on a weekly basis. Maintains accounts payable sub ledger. Prepares and files check registers by program for review.
- Ensures that debt service and other financial obligations are met on a timely basis by processing appropriate payments in a timely manner.
- Issues payment to HCV landlords and tenants for utility allowances. Ensures accuracy of changes made and double checks the processing done by the HCV Specialist prior to payment.
- Reconciles HAP register and performs accounts payable and accounts receivable tasks for portable vouchers.
- Performs complex calculations in the maintenance of accounts. Exercises judgment in posting and verifying entries. Independently researches and resolves problems.
- Supports monthly close out process on all funds and projects.
- Prepares invoices on a monthly basis for inter-fund costs to be paid via reimbursement. Also prepares invoices and makes appropriate transfers for management fees on a monthly basis.
- Records payroll and payroll related expenditures to the general ledger based on approved cost allocations. Remits third party payroll checks and funds the payroll account.
- Assists the Fee Accountant in preparation for annual audits of HAN and related entities (and subsidiaries).
Candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of three years of related bookkeeping or accounting experience, or an Associate’s degree with a minimum of five years of relevant accounting experience.
- Proficiency in computer utilization. Demonstrated ability to use a variety of software programs – SACS, especially Microsoft Excel.
- Knowledge of accounting principles and practices.
- Ability to analyze accounting problems and suggest appropriate corrective actions.
- Ability to interact with employees and the public in a professional and courteous manner.
- Ability to operate computer utilizing repetitive motion of hands and wrists.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize.
- Ability to sit for long periods of time.
- Ability to stand, bend, and walk.
- Ability to reach and handle.
- Ability to communicate on telephone exhibiting a professional telephone demeanor.
- Ability to see, talk and hear.
- Demonstrated attention to detail and ability to handle deadlines.
- Ability to lift at least 10 lbs.
- making and posting journal entry: 1 year (Preferred)
- maintaining more than one general ledger: 1 year (Preferred)
- relevant accounting: 5 years (Preferred)
- performing bank reconciliation: 1 year (Preferred)
- Bachelor’s (Preferred)
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change by HAN Management to fit the Mission of the HAN.
Please submit resume, salary requirements and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
FLSA Status: Exempt, FTE: 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday.
Salary Range: 40,000-45,000; benefit package included.
Housing Authority of Newnan is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified personnel in a manner that does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, gender, marital status, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, veteran/reserve and National Guard status or characteristic protected by law.