Posting Period: June 5, 2019 – July 22, 2019
About the Housing Authority of the County of Wake (HACW)
The HACW has 345 public housing units and provides Section 8 vouchers to over 550 participants. In addition, HACW also manages six rental houses for its nonprofit affiliate, the Wake County Housing Finance Corporation. Sharing in its plight to provide housing opportunity for eligible families, HACW has an active nonprofit instrumentality, Wake Initiatives Supporting Housing (WISH).
About the Position
The Executive Director will be a dynamic and qualified leader with a progressive career in public housing management, affordable housing, nonprofit management, and human services. Responsibilities include all aspects of the HACW’s operations including administration, management, development, and financial control. The incumbent will lead innovative strategies and serve as primary liaison with the BOC, HUD, and state and federal entities. We are seeking a leader who values accountability, uses modern technology to perform highly complex functions, and has a process-approach to getting things done.
Located northeast central region of NC, Wake County is home to over 1 million residents. Our culturally diverse community attracts top talent for our varied workforce. We are one of the fastest growing counties in the nation and the second-most populous county in the state. Known for having a diverse economy, Wake County maintains a competitive edge in bio-research, technology, pharmaceuticals, and medical. The County offers quality education at eight higher learning institutes and serves as hosts to many cultural arts performances. The County has received national and international rankings and accolades from publications such as Money, Fortune, and Time magazines ranked it as being one of the best places to live, work and play.
Summary of Major Duties
Performs the following and other related duties as assigned by the BOC.
- The Executive Director plans, develops, organizes, coordinates, delegates, supervises
- Supports a positive and productive working environment for staff members
- Approves reports and other documents that are required by federal, state, and local jurisdictions
Management (Projects, Procurement, Operations)
- Makes policy, administrative, and management decisions concerning the daily operations of the Agency.
- Monitors the Agency’s compliance with federal, state, and local laws and regulations pertaining to the Agency. Prepares and submits reports and statistics required by such entities.
- Accountable for consistent adherence to strong Agency standards regarding the ethical, responsible, and appropriate use, care, and safeguarding of Agency materials, supplies, resources, and other assets.
Strategic & Policy Management
- Serves as Secretary/Treasurer to the Board of Commissioners, develops and proposes new polices or changes in existing policies, and informs BOC of changes or proposed changes in federal, state or local legislation affecting the Agency; and provides recommendations for improvements.
- Works with BOC to develop the Agency’s strategic and operational plans. Effectively develops organizational structures and plans and implements internal policies, programs, goals, and priorities.
- Oversees and ensures accurate preparation of all budgets and revisions. Revises and authorizes Agency expenditures and monitors funds for effective and efficient use.
- Identifies federal and non-federal funding sources to augment declining subsidy, helping to ensure the viability of housing and associated programs offered by the Agency.
Communication and Public Relations
- Serves as liaison between the BOC and Agency staff. Acts as spokesperson for the BOC when authorized by the BOC chairperson.
- Discusses Agency goals, priorities, problems, and concerns with officials, representatives, and members of the local government, news media, social and public service agencies, state government and federal government.
- Meets with residents concerning complaints and/or grievances after unresolved investigation and negotiations by designated staff and advises them of their rights to hearings according to the Agency’s procedures.
- Addresses businesses and civic groups on matters pertaining to the Agency maintains positive Agency image with the community and local, state, and federal government officials.
- Supports, assists, and works with other agencies and affiliated organizations in joint efforts
Modern Technology and Automation
A Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration, Business Administration or Management or a closely related field from an accredited college or university reflected of the mission and goals of Housing Authority.
Minimum of Ten (10) years’ experience in senior level management. Minimum of Five (5) years of management experience at a public housing authority or other similar experience, including supervision of ten (10) or more staff members for at least two (2) years.
Applicants must authorize HACW to conduct confidential background checks
including criminal history, credit check, prior employment verification,
education verification, and other relevant background checks. In accordance
with our drug-free workplace policy, all job offers are contingent upon
candidates successfully passing a drug and alcohol screen.
Hiring Range and Benefits
$104,000 – $125,000 (beginning salary will be commensurate with experience) with 100% health insurance coverage, retirement, paid holidays, vacation leave, and life insurance. The first portion of accrued vacation leave will be credited after six months of continuous employment (approximately 180 days), and employees may not use this paid vacation leave until after six months of employment.
Housing Authority of the County of Wake (HACW)
100 Shannon Drive, Zebulon, NC 27597
Job Type: Regular/Fulltime
Application and Selection Process
Applications will be accepted until Jul 22, 2019. Your application package should include 1- letter of interest 2-detailed resume 3 – three professional references in PDF Format and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line HACW- ED Application. This recruitment process is being managed by Joe Durham and Associates, LLC.
The Housing Authority of the County of Wake is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation national origin, creed, gender identity, age, disability, or status in any other group protected by law.